Do you love music, nature and children? The Ashokan Center, a 501c (3) not for profit, is looking for a bright, energetic, customer service/detail oriented and flexible individual to fill the position of Staff Accountant/Bookkeeper.
This is a full-time salaried position with the possibility of working late or over the weekend. You will report directly to the Managing Director and be responsible for managing all aspects of Ashokan’s finances as well as providing administrative support for Human Resources.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and maintain the accounting system in accordance with accrual basis accounting principles
- Accounts receivable functions including billing, collections, and cash application.
- Prepare and review journal entries, reconciles ledger accounts and ensures compliance with GAAP General ledger maintenance
- Accounts Payable functions including processing purchase orders, invoices and payments
- book journal entries and close the books on a monthly basis
- Monthly financial reporting including a statement of cash flows, balance sheet, and profit & loss reports
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Process the organization’s corporate credit cards and related reconciliations
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Work with Director of Development to reconcile restricted and unrestricted donations/grants and provide accurate and timely reporting of all donations
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Managing Director and CEO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial information to the Board of Directors.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Process employee payroll to ensure that all employees are paid correctly on a bi-weekly schedule and ensure that benefits and time off are accurately reported.
- Manage and make recommendations for health benefits, 401k, etc.
- Track employee vacation, sick and holiday time
- BA in Accounting
- 5 years minimum experience preferably with a non-profit.
- Deep understanding of accrual basis accounting and project accounting
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, FASB, non-profit accounting methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a professional manner and function as part of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to think “outside the box” and problem solve issues to resolution.
- Ability to be a self-starter and critical thinker that requires limited supervision.
- Must possess strong computer skills, be proficient with Quickbooks, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Health Insurance
- 401k after the first year
- 2 weeks vacation
- 9 paid holidays
You must have a valid drivers’ license and pass a criminal background check. References are required.
Please send or email a resume, references, contact information, and best time to call to email@example.com
Located in Olivebridge, NY on 385 acres of fields, forests, trails, and streams, the Ashokan Center has provided high quality, innovative outdoor education programs for K-12 school students and teachers for over 50 years. Ashokan is the home of the world renowned Ashokan Music & Dance programs and also hosts retreats, weddings, as well as a variety of public events, performances and lectures.