Our Mission: Inspire learning and build community through shared experiences in nature, history, music & art.
Do you love music, nature, food and people of all ages? The Ashokan Center, a 501c (3) not-for-profit, would love to meet you. We are looking for a bright, reliable, energetic, flexible, customer service and detail-oriented to fill the position of Nurse.
This is a full-time salaried position that will involve periodic overnight stays when residential schools visit the Ashokan Center. This position will play a pivotal role in providing for the health and safety of all students (primarily grades 4-6) participating in the Outdoor/Environmental Education Program. When doing overnight shifts, a private lodging room with a bathroom is provided. This is a unique opportunity to work at an exciting and innovative community-based organization that celebrates nature, music, the arts & history.
You must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation. References are required.
- Working with a creative, collaborative, fun-loving staff
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- 2 Weeks of Vacation and 9 Holidays
- 401k (matched up to %5)
- Meals provided on program days
- All staff training sessions including safety and emergency response are paid
- Access to Ashokan’s 385-acre preserve
- Free admission to all Ashokan festivals, concerts, and lectures
- Obtaining, and organizing appropriate medical forms for all students
- Communicating with school nurses and teachers to identify students with food allergies, prescriptions, medical conditions, behavioral needs.
- Dispensing medications as per MD orders
- Provide overnight nursing coverage as needed
- Complete student medical sheets for staff to reference.
- Attend meetings at the beginning of school trips to inform/review pertinent medical needs of students.
- Supply and maintain infirmary and ensuring it is in a clean and operable condition
- Assessing injured or sick students while at Ashokan, providing appropriate care, and deciding if they are suitable to continue the program, receive additional care and/or if they must be sent home.
- Able to identify emergency situations and act appropriately with Ashokan’s Emergency Action Plan
- Maintain medical treatment logs and medication administration records
- Maintain AED devices and keep maintenance logs up-to-date
- Consult with staff directors regarding any unusual medical occurrences or situations during the program
- Able to communicate effectively with students, teachers, and parents/guardians
- Friendly, happy, with a good sense of humor
- Must have nursing experience, RN preferred
- BLS and First Aid Certified
- Pediatric experience
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Must have a flexible schedule and “on-call” capabilities