Our Mission: Inspire learning and build community through shared experiences in nature, history, music & art.
Do you love music, nature, food and people of all ages? The Ashokan Center, a 501c (3) not for profit, would love to meet you. We are looking for a bright, energetic, customer service/detail oriented and flexible individual to fill the position of On Call Nurse. Located in Olivebridge, NY on 385 acres of fields, forests, trails, and streams, the Ashokan Center has provided high quality, innovative outdoor/environmental education programs for K-12 school students and teachers for over 50 years. Ashokan is the home of the world renowned Ashokan Music & Dance programs and also hosts retreats, weddings, as well as a variety of public events, performances and lectures.
This is an on-call position with the possibility of working evenings and staying overnight when residential schools visit the Ashokan Center. You will oversee the health and safety of all students (primarily grades 4-6) participating in the Residential Outdoor Education Program when scheduled. When doing overnight shifts, a private lodging room with a bathroom is provided. Our schedule generally runs Monday – Friday and with the academic calendar, so late August – late June.
You must have a valid drivers’ license, reliable transportation and pass a criminal background check. References are required.
Your responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Obtaining, and organizing appropriate medical forms for all students
- Communicating with school nurses and teachers to identify students with food allergies, prescriptions, medical conditions, and behavioral needs.
- Providing overnight nursing coverage periodically
- Completing student medical sheets for staff to reference
- Attending meetings at the beginning of school trips to inform/review pertinent medical needs of students.
- Supplying and maintaining infirmary and ensuring it is in a clean and operable condition
- Conducting daily health surveillance and sick call for students
- Responding to and administering appropriate treatment for injuries or illness
- Dispensing medications as per MD orders
- Assessing injured or sick students while at Ashokan, providing appropriate care, and deciding if they are suitable to continue the program, receive additional care and/or if they must be sent home
- Able to identify emergency situations and act appropriately with Ashokan’s Emergency Action Plan
- Maintaining medical treatment logs and medication administration records
- Consulting with staff directors regarding any unusual medical occurrences or situations during the course of the program
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, teachers, and parents/guardians
- Must have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Must have nursing experience, RN preferred
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- BLS and First Aid Certified
- Pediatric Experience
- Must enjoy working with children
- Interpersonal and organizational skills essential
- Must have flexible schedule and “on call” capabilities
The Ashokan Center is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a rich, inclusive environment for all employees.
Please send resume and letter of interest to:
The Ashokan Center