The Ashokan Center seeks positive, communicative individuals who thrive in a collaborative work environment. Applicants must have experience working with children and a passion for nature, history, music, and art. Specialized knowledge of local ecology, climate & sustainability, 18th & 19th Century crafts and NY history, music and art are strongly desirable. We have both on-call and full time positions, and we are hiring on a rolling basis. Full time Ashokan Educators work Monday – Friday and some weekends. Housing is available if needed for full time positions, or if on-call educators need to commute a distance and stay overnight. Our programs generally run with the school year, so January – late June, and late August – December.
- Teach a variety of inquiry-based classes such as living history, forest and aquatic ecology, team building, sustainability, music, art, and traditional colonial-era crafts
- Lead large and small group activities
- Assist with maintenance and cleaning
- Participate in ongoing professional development and program assessment
- Perform other tasks as determined by the education team
Full time employee benefits
- $15 an hour
- On-site housing is available; private room with paid utilities and free wifi
- Meals included during program days
- Paid training sessions for all curricular areas, organizational systems, staff expectations, safety and emergency response
- Access to our 385 acre preserve
- Free admission to all Ashokan festivals, concerts, and lectures
- A college degree in one of the following disciplines is preferred: environmental science, adventure/outdoor education, natural history, history, music and art. A background in more than one area is a plus!
- Teaching experience working in educational/interpretive settings with elementary/middle school students
- First aid certification is preferre