The Ashokan Center seeks positive, communicative individuals who thrive in a colloborative work environment. Applicants must have experience working with children and a passion for nature, history, music, and art. Specialized knowledge of local ecology, climate & sustainability, 18th & 19th Century crafts and NY history, music and art are strongly desirable. We are seeking on-call and full time staff for the 2021-2022 season. Full time Ashokan Educators work Monday – Friday and some weekends, September through mid-December and mid-January through June.
- Teach a variety of inquiry based classes such as living history, forest and aquatic ecology, team building, sustainability, music, art, and traditional colonial-era crafts.
- Lead large and small group activities.
- Assist with light maintenance and cleaning.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and program assessment.
- Perform other tasks as determined by the Education Supervisor.
Full time employee benefits
- Private room with paid utilities and free wifi
- Meals during program days
- Paid training sessions for all curricular areas, organizational systems, staff expectations, safety and emergency response
- Access to our 385 acre preserve
- Free admission to all Ashokan festivals, concerts, and lectures
- Hourly pay rate is NYS minimal wage
- A college degree in one of the following is preferred: environmental science, adventure/outdoor education, natural history, history, music and art. A background in more than one area is a plus!
- Teaching experience working in educational/interpretive settings with elementary/middle school students